1863 - 1944 (80 years) Submit Photo / Document
Has 9 ancestors and 3 descendants in this family tree.
||Emily Olivia DETHRIDGE |
||31 Oct 1863
||Emerald Hill, Victoria, Australia [1, 2]
||Toorak, Victoria, Australia 
|| Submit Headstone Photo |
||27 Oct 2006 |
|| Romulus DETHRIDGE, b. 7 Apr 1842, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom , d. 30 Apr 1912, Palmers Green, London, England (Age 70 years) |
|| Mary POOLEY, b. 15 Apr 1842, No. 8, Kings Head Yard, St Olave and St Thomas district, County of Surrey, London, England , d. 29 Jul 1886, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Age 44 years) |
||23 Aug 1862
||Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia [2, 4, 5]
||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S73] Victoria Pioneers Index - Births 1837-1888, Reg. No. 1863/20270 (Reliability: 2).
- [S86] B&R Stone (Reliability: 2).
- [S100] Digger - Death Index Victoria 1921-1985, Reg. No. 1944/11461 (Reliability: 2).
- [S68] Victoria Pioneers Index - Marriages 1837-1888, Reg. No. 1862/3359 (Reliability: 2).
- [S73] Victoria Pioneers Index - Births 1837-1888, Reg. No. 5343 (Reliability: 2).
- [S1256] Email: Stephen Stuart, Re: Kemp family history; 3 September 2010; Andrew Kemp (Reliability: 2).
Thank you for your prompt reply, below. Successive generations down from Mary are as follows.
Mary Pooley (~1835-1886) m. Romulus Dethridge (1842-1912, uncle of the Dethridges in ADB)
Emily Olivia Dethridge (1863-1944) m. John Frederick Seismann (1860-1889)
Emily Helena Seismann (1882-1966) m. William Alexander Watt (1871-1946, see ADB)
Joan Sidney Watt (1916-2008) m. Nevil Frank Stuart (1913-1968)
Stephen Nevil Stuart (1940-) m. Jennifer Elizabeth Mills (1944-)
For me the marriage certificate of Mary and Romulus is critical. The question is not whether some Mary Pooley was born in Surrey on 15 April 1842, but whether that was the one who married Romulus. We need to explain the discrepancy of declared parentage, for example, if Mary's parents died and she was brought up by an uncle and aunt (Henry and Hannah Pooley). Do you know what ship she migrated on, and did relatives come too? I assume the Mary Pooley who died in 1886 was the former wife of Romulus; I haven't seen the certificate to confirm that, but was the informant not one of her children? The death index entry omits parents. I don't know who took care of her youngest children when she died.
- [S97] Digger - Federation Index Victoria 1889-1901, Reg. No. 1891/1280 (Reliability: 2).