1854 - 1915 (61 years) Submit Photo / Document
Has 8 ancestors and 3 descendants in this family tree.
|| John Kemp, b. Abt 1825, Knottingley, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom , d. 11 May 1907, Mirboo East, Victoria, Australia (Age ~ 82 years) |
|| Mary Clarke, b. Abt 1835, Sligo, Ireland , d. 1902, Boolarra, Victoria, Australia (Age ~ 67 years) |
||17 Mar 1853
||Melbourne, Victoria, Australian Colonies [2, 6, 7]
- Note, John's surname recorded as Genep possibly due to strong Yorkshire accent. As both John and Mary could not read/write (as indicated by mark for signature) this oversight could not be corrected
||Marriage certificate of John Kemp & Mary Clarke
Marriage certificate of John Kemp & Mary Clarke, 1853
- KEMP FAMILY:
"Mr. John Kemp arrived later in the year of 1878. He came from Ballarat accompanied by his son William Kemp and was later joined by two other sons, Thomas and George. Mrs. Kemp remained in Ballarat with the younger members of the family of twelve until a house was built at Boolarra. Mr. Kemp's property 3-4 miles out of Boolarra was named "Windsor Park" after Mr. Billy Windsor, an 18 stone, 6 foot giant of a man who used to shoot wild cattle on the Scrubby Forest Station at Yinnar. Later he worked for various families in the Boolarra district. When Mr. Kemp first came to his selection, he felled a very large tree of 12 feet in diameter. The ends rested on the ground, but under the middle was a depression in the ground up to three feet deep. A hut was built onto this log and bunks placed in the depression. If any branches or trees fell, the huge log protected the men. In 1880 Miss Katie Kemp opened the school at Yinnar. In 1884 Mr. Will Kemp and his brother-in-law Mr. Will Secombe started the first local paper "The Morwell Advertiser".
- (Mrs. D. Morrow from letter written to Mr. Schmidt 1951)
FURTHER PIONEERING FAMILIES:
These three families were closely followed by other pioneering families. Families such as the Irvings, Hopkins, Earls, Mantons, O'Gradys, Collyers, Dan Stewart, Mulrooneys, Latters, Amiets, Kellehers, McDonalds, Blacks, Christians, Gleesons, Scanlons and many others in the ensuing years. Each member of the Irving family selected a block. Mr. Jack Irving, the first teacher had Brown's farm, Mr. Murdoch Irving had Pottengers, Mr. George Iriving selected part of Mr. W. Hibbins place, Miss Barbara Irving had Phillip's farm. Mr. & Mrs. Irving lived with their daughter while she taught at the Hazelwood Ridge School. Mr. Dan McDonald had "Barr's" Place but sold out a few years later to Mr. S. Burnie and moved to Yinnar.
The Hopkins were on Newbegins, Mantons on Lockarts, Mr. Tom Collyer on Foxes and Mr. Jack Collyer on Cummins. Messrs. O'Grady and O'Reilly were in partnership on the National Mutual. Mr. O'Grady a little later moved to the adjoining farm which he called "Hilltop" and remained there till about 1921 when he sold out to Mr. Robbins and retired to Melbourne.
The Duck were on Walsh's and Mr. Duck used to carry the mail from Morwell to Yinnar. Mrs. Duck planted thistles called Teasles used for teasing wool in the early days. Also on the same property Mrs. Fawkner (Faulkner) planted willows for the purpose of making baskets from the young limbs. They are called basket willows and can be seen today lining the banks of the rivers and creeks around Boolarra. This would have been in the late 1890's or early 1900's.
The Black family was on the property once owned by the Perrys and Primroses who bought it from Mr. Harry Fancke, who took over from the Blacks. Two other early settlers were Mr. Harry Weatheral and Mr. Tom Weatheral the former having Mr. Harry Fisher's farm. They belonged to a family of cabinet makers and amongst other things made pianos and a large number of the cases in the Museum, Melbourne. The Earls owned Reid's property at Boolarra South and another Manton was on Mr. George Bickerton's property.
The Hopkins family apparently came to Boolarra from the mining township of Mt. Egerton in the Ballarat district. The family established a general store in Boolarra in 1889. Another early-settler Mr. W. O'Grady was a member of the Morwell Shire Council from 1898-1906. O'Grady's Creek which flowed through his property at Boolarra is named after him.
Mr. W. P. Christian and his brother bought Hopkin's store. W. P. Christian before coming to Boolarra in the late 1890's was a member of the champion Essendon Football Team 1891-92-93. David T. Latter established a blacksmith's business in 1866 but from 1891 became interested in the timber trade. Thomas Scanlon came from Geelong in 1884 and selected land nine miles out of Boolarra. He was also the proprietor of the Club Hotel in 1902. The Gleeson family came to Gippsland in 1875 and selected land at Hazelwood, later coming to Boolarra in 1895."
- (Mrs. D. Morrow 1951 and Morwell Historical Society News 1966)
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Christina Lyle Russell, b. Abt 1862, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia , d. Yes, date unknown |
||Victoria, Australia [1, 5, 8, 9]
| ||1. Alfred Kemp, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Joseph Albert Kemp, b. 1883, Emerald Hill, Victoria, Australia , d. 1928, Balwyn, Victoria, Australia (Age 45 years)|
| ||3. Frederick William Kemp, b. 1886, Prahran, Victoria, Australia , d. 1920, Cheltenham, Victoria, Australia (Age 34 years)|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S100] Digger - Death Index Victoria 1921-1985, Reg. No. 1928/13369 (Reliability: 2).
- [S286] VicGold Genealogy Database - National Centenary An.
- [S73] Victoria Pioneers Index - Births 1837-1888, Reg. No. 1854/2323 (Reliability: 2).
- [S1142] Australian Vital Records 1788 - 1905, Reg. No. 1854/2323 (Reliability: 2).
- [S99] Digger - Great War Index Victoria 1914-1920, Reg. No. 1915/7671 (Reliability: 2).
- [S2718] Email: Ian Donald Stanley, John Kemp (I1334); 15 May 2013; Andrew Kemp (Reliability: 2).
- [S2718] Email: Ian Donald Stanley, Proposed Change: John KEMP (I1334); 15 May 2013; Andrew Kemp (Reliability: 2).
- [S90] Internet - Email contact, Shirley Morrow ([email protected]) (Reliability: 2).
Paper file sent from Shirley
- [S1142] Australian Vital Records 1788 - 1905, Reg. No. 1882/4280 (Reliability: 2).