Abt 1807 - 1888 (~ 81 years) Submit Photo / Document
Has no ancestors but more than 100 descendants in this family tree.
||Jane Kemp (Sharp?) |
||Ashfield, Cavan, Ireland [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]
- Kemp families did inhabit Ashfield Co Cavan, so this is a plausible origin. But there is no evidence her birth name really was Kemp, as with her husband.
||19 Feb 1842
||Port Phillip, Victoria, Australia [3, 9]
||Church of England (minister at burial) [3, 5, 6] |
- Colac Pioneers book claims she was Catholic, but this does not look correct.
||20 Feb 1888
||Colac, Victoria, Australia [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10]
||22 Feb 1888
||Colac, Victoria, Australia [2, 3, 6]
|| Submit Headstone Photo |
- See notes for marriage of Jane and William Kemp
||ONS | KLN Colac Victoria , S-KLN Cavan Ireland
||18 Aug 2016 |
|| William Kemp, b. 1804, Crossreagh, Ballyhaise, Cavan , d. 13 Jun 1877, Colac, Victoria, Australia (Age 73 years) |
||Castleterra, Cavan, Ireland [2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12]
- This marriage is quoted in several online GEDCOMs, but unfortunately it is not recorded in the Castleterra marriage registers for 1825-26. There may be an oral tradition among the Colac Kemps that William's wife was also named Kemp before her marriage. And perhaps there was a memory of am origin in Castleterra parish, but I have seen no corroboration of this and the suspicion remains that this Jane Kemp has been selected because of convenience rather than evidence. At least one of the GEDCOMs claims Jane was born in Ashfield while still claiming her to be the daughter of Robert Kemp of Drumcalpin, and recording his other known daughters as being born in Drumcalpin - so why just one daughter born in Ashfield?
There are Kemp families in Ashfield, and if this Jane was a Kemp before marriage, she could have come from there. That would lead to the likelihood that the marriage would have been held in Ashfield, the bride's home parish, and unfortunately the relevant Kildrumsherdiny parish registers are lost for the years in question. Therefore marriage between these two individuals while possible has to be considered questionable.
|+||1. Sarah Kemp, b. 25 Dec 1827, Cavan, Ireland , d. 28 Dec 1918, Colac, Victoria, Australia (Age 91 years)|
|+||2. Robert Kemp, b. 11 Sep 1829, Crossforts, Ballyhaise, Cavan , d. 25 Dec 1898, Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia (Age 69 years)|
|+||3. Eliza Kemp, b. 21 Dec 1831, Crossforts, Ballyhaise, Cavan , d. 13 Dec 1907, Clifton Hill, Victoria, Australia (Age 75 years)|
|+||4. John Kemp, b. 12 Nov 1833, Crossforts, Ballyhaise, Cavan , d. 22 May 1896, Colac, Victoria, Australia (Age 62 years)|
| ||5. William Kemp, b. 1 May 1836, Cavan, Ireland , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||6. James Kemp, b. 21 Sep 1838, Crossreagh, Ballyhaise, Cavan , d. Abt 1842, Belfast, Ireland (Age 3 years)|
|+||7. Thomas Kemp, b. 7 Jan 1841, Crossforts, Ballyhaise, Cavan , d. 3 Jun 1924, Colac, Victoria, Australia (Age 83 years)|
|+||8. Joseph Kemp, b. 8 Aug 1843, Murroon, New South Wales, Australian Colonies , d. 30 Sep 1920, Colac, Victoria, Australia (Age 77 years)|
| ||9. Alexander Kemp, b. 9 Oct 1845, Irish Town, Victoria, Australia , d. 3 Oct 1921, Victoria, Australia (Age 75 years)|
| ||10. Henry Kemp, b. 6 Jan 1849, Irish Town, Victoria, Australia , d. 30 Oct 1921, Colac, Victoria, Australia (Age 72 years)|
| ||11. David Kemp, b. 6 Jan 1849, Irish Town, Victoria, Australia , d. 17 Mar 1893, Christmas Tank, New South Wales, Australia (Age 44 years)|
| ||12. Alexander Kemp, b. 1850, Victoria, Australia , d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||13. Jane Kemp, b. 1853, Colac, Victoria, Australia , d. 18 Sep 1918, Colac, Victoria, Australia (Age 65 years)|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S85] Ancestral File (R).
- [S2729] Email: Helen Lang, Family Group Worksheet; 9 March 2013; Andrew Kemp (Reliability: 2).
- [S2821] GEDCOM: JCleary4.
- [S3563] Web: Kemp Family Tree, 18 August 2016; Kemp / Kempe (Reliability: 2).
- [S2828] Colac and Disctrict Pioneer Register, pre-1900, p. 32.
- [S2810] Deaths (Victoria), Colac, Colacshire, County of Polwarth, Colony of Victoria. 20 Feb 1888. Jane KEMP, farmer, age 81.
- [S819] Web: GenesReunited, Helen Butters.
- [S1037] Email: Neville Spokes, Re: MyHeritage, Genealogy and Spokes/Kemp tree; 29 August 2009; Andrew Kemp (Reliability: 2).
thank you for answering me
the Kemp tree comes into the spokes tree via Bessie Kemp
I have sent what I have could you fill in the blanks and if you have the names for the living people that is in the tree
- [S2783] Passenger Lists. Assisted Immigrants, South Australia 1847-1886, William Kemp and family, Regulus, arr. Port Phillip, 19 Feb 1842. Ancestry image.
Travelling with Wiliam Kemp, Labourer (35) are Jane (33), Housekeeper, John (8), Robert (12), William (6), Thomas (8 months), Sons, and Eliza (15), Daughter.
- [S1142] Australian Vital Records 1788 - 1905, Reg. No. 1888/1022 (Reliability: 2).
- [S2810] Deaths (Victoria), Colac, Colacshire, County of Polwarth, Colony of Victoria. 13 June 1877. William KEMP, farmer, age 73.
"Gangrene of the leg caused by a wound of the leg and general debility, 5 days."
- [S286] VicGold Genealogy Database - National Centenary An.